Saturday, June 1, 2013

What Does A Nurse Do Anyway?

People, especially children, ask me what I do, anyway. What's the difference between a doctor and a nurse?
A nurse provides comfort. We will get you an ice pack, heat, more blankets, an extra pillow. We will monitor your vital signs and use assessments to decide when to call the doctor for a change in medication, new medication, discharge from the hospital. We are the ones responsible for being the last check in medication administration--to make sure that the dose ordered is a good dose to give to you.
We are the ones who see you the most, we and the Nursing Assistants. We help you when you are throwing up, clean you up after, and give anti-nausea medication as able.
As for myself, I will fight for you as long as you are fighting alongside. If you stop fighting, I will still fight. I will fight until you leave the hospital; for your health, your rights, your comfort. Anything I can do to make you the shining star you can be, I will do.

No comments:

Post a Comment